1000 Journals

I was just window shopping at Page One bookstore at Vivo City, and accidentally I found this awesome book.

It was slapping me hardly when I opened the first pages, it said "This book is dedicated to everyone who's ever said, "I am not creative". Aha! You got me!


I opened the next pages and I was amazed. It is so amazingly creative. The creator was starting this 1000 journals by sending many journal books to many places (around the world), and the people who found it would write or draw or add some(any)thing they want in the journals.

The journals have experienced many situation in different places, an African added a torn-Africa map in the journals and re-arrange it with his creativity. There's also a guy who promoted himself "I'm single, 19 years old, bla bla bla.. I'm looking for a girl, good looking, Asian will be a plus."


How it works? [actually]
"Those who find the journals add something to them. A story, drawing, photograph, anything really. Then they pass the journal along, to a friend or stranger, and the adventure continues."

I've always been fascinated by what people scrawl on bathroom walls and in public spaces. I had been taking photographs of this writing for years, and wanted to put together a book. It seemed appropriate to encourage readers to become contributors, and join the conversation by writing in the actual book. From there, I decided that a blank book might be more fun... especially one that traveled around, to gather a variety of thoughts and opinions. And then, why not 1000 of them? It's such an absurd number.

The project officially launched in August of 2000, with the release of the first 100 journals in San Francisco. I gave them to friends, and left them at bars, cafes, and on park benches. Shortly thereafter, people began emailing me, asking if they could participate. So I started sending journals to folks, allowing them to share with friends, or strangers. It's been a roller coaster ever since.

As you can see, this journal is the collection of thousand people in the world. I even can find someone from Indonesia who wrote something in this book.

I'm so into this book. Think gonna buy it.




images were taken from the official web of 1000 journals.

3 winds from friends and strangers:

dai said...

so it sneaks up on you as well, vel? the life? hihi..

novel. said...

yaaaaaa.. pastii.. huwoh huwoh.. ;p

i wish the journal would find me.. and you? hehe.

dai said...

yes sure sure find meee hehe

a little wind

My photo
i bake my own bread for breakfast, i craft everything i could think of, i watch arsenal, i dream of alaska, and i befriend old cameras. my world rotates on september.

inspiration.

 

subscribe for my updates